Chaperone Info for the 2023 NYC Trip!
General Chaperoning Details
- Chaperones’ main role is to be a second set of eyes
- Each chaperone will be assigned a group of 4–8 students
- We will travel in those groups at all times, except when we make other arrangements (such as on Saturday, when we can reorganize by activity for free time. Groups make all transitions and travel (subway, moving through airport, etc.) with a chaperone.
- Students will choose a buddy in their chaperone group, and they will always be with that buddy when we are outside the hotel. No student should every be alone outside of the hotel.
- Chaperones can pair up to make a larger group (2 chaperones, 8 kids, for example) if that’s more fun or easier; just make sure to always track the students in your particular group
- Chaperones are not responsible for enforcement and or doling out consequences; we are simply there to “observe and report.” Christy handles all enforcement.
- The worst consequence is usually ‘chaperone arrest,’ which means doing something with Christy and chaperones rather than being able to do other fun stuff
- The students are all good kids; some of them are sometimes a little squirrely and need to burn off energy
- Todd Trowbridge’s room is the ‘food room.’ We’ll send out his room number to everyone.
- Everyone should pack masks.
- Everyone will have a 3-day subway pass.
- When travelling on the subway, the plan at this time in the unlikely event that a student-buddy pair does not get on/off subway in time, they should get the next same subway (multiple lines run through the same station on the same track) and get off at the next stop. Chaperones should wait at that next stop until the group is reconvened. If at all possible, be in touch with the students who are behind/ahead. Always stay with the students who made it on/off the train; no separating. (As a side note from Anna, I’ve never gotten separated from our kids or anyone else in a group on the NYC subway. We just need to have a clear plan in case it does happen.) See Anna for details on this.
- Rain and nippy but not freezing weather is in the forecast. Bring umbrellas and rain clothes.
- Just in case anything comes up, Anna, Christy, and Todd (and probably Ron) have a complete list of all parents’/guardians’ names and phone numbers
- Chaperones usually ‘tape’ the students’ room doors at night (painters’ tape, from the top of the door frame down onto the door, as students are not allowed to leave the room. If the hotel has a security guard or cameras in the hallways, we won’t tape them in. Todd will have tape for everyone in his room.
- Meet in the band room at some ungodly hour. We will have breakfast food (brown bag) for everyone in the band room (need people to organize this Wed night).
- Bring a sack lunch for the plane. Students also need to bring food for the plane, as the airport lines can be too long to get food and airplane food is pricey and inadequate.
- When you arrive at the band room Thursday morning, meet with the students you will be chaperoning, take their picture, and start a chat group. Students should also take a picture of the chaperone and make sure they know their chaperone’s name (helpful to know whose parent they are too).
- Students should wear their band jackets Thursday.
- Airplane seats are assigned by the travel agent. NO SEAT SWITCHING is allowed, for airplane safety reasons.
- Breakfast foods will be in Todd’s room (bagels, fruit, coffee, etc.). Students can head over there to get breakfast whenever they are ready, as can chaperones.
- Breakfast in Todd’s room
- Students will break out into new groups to go exploring NYC. The groups will be organized by chaperone and the chaperone’s activity. Students choose.
- Chaperones get time off in the afternoon
- Breakfast in Todd’s room
- Students transported to Carnegie Hall before chaperones; chaperones get morning off
- Doors open at noon for the show at 1:00pm
- Super tight schedule getting to dinner this night (and all nights). Chaperones and students will travel to dinner venue in waves—as soon as your group is ready, go to the restaurant and eat!
- Checkout is 11:00am.
- Chaperones are free to get up earlier, check out, and go on fun adventures with their group of students. The hotel will store all of our bags in a room; ask at the front desk.
- Buses arrive at 12:30 to take us to the airport.